TIF Town Meetings
The TIF Illumination Project is investigating and explaining the impacts (money out, money in) on a ward-by-ward basis in Chicago. In 2013 (the latest year we have data for) there were 151 TIF districts and they extracted $412 million in property taxes from the property owners of Chicago.
People all over the city are stepping to organize TIF Town Meetings in their areas. We are doing this a ward-by-ward basis. If you would like to become a TIF Illuminator or donate time or funds to this all volunteer effort, please donate here and use the contact form below to reach us.
AS OF 9/25/14 WE HAVE ILLUMINATED 134 TIFs INSIDE 30 WARDS. OVER 3,600 PEOPLE HAVE ATTENDED THESE MEETINGS.
All our presentations are available at the TIF Data Store. Just click on the category “TIF Illumination” below and you can select from the presentations done to date. Once you pay you will be able to download the selected file. Remember, that while the TIF Illumination Project is 100% volunteer powered we have expenses to cover at the CivicLab and we are raising money to place all our TIF data online in an easy-to-use format. You can PREVIEW these presentations on SlideShare but they will not have the ward-specific details and other useful data.
“You are the definition of a true Servant Leader for the city of Chicago. You shed light on the complex issue of TIFs and continue to push for more transparency to inform taxpayers where their tax dollars are being underutilized for those in most need is simply remarkable. Citizens of Chicago are fortunate to have people like you. Best wishes!” – From the organizer of the 23rd Ward Illumination.
“You have my profound thanks for all of your work on this project; some Alderman have served decades in the City Council managing to perform far less public service than you have in spearheading this project.” – From an organizer of the 49th Ward Illumination. [Thanks, it's a team effort!]
LISTEN TO THESE TIF ILLUMINATORS SAY WHY THEY GOT INVOLVED WITH THIS PROJECT!
UPCOMING TIF TOWN MEETINGS
“TIF 101″ workshop. Tom Tresser lays it all out for you. Open enrollment. 90 minutes at the CivicLab. Check our EventBrite schedule of workshops for the next version of this class. Email us if you would like a TIF training or town meeting scheduled for your community.
RECENT TIF TOWN MEETINGS
* 23rd Ward TIF Illumination, August 27, 2014 at Kennedy High School.
* 48th Ward TIF Illumination, June 18, 2014 at Emanuel Congregation.
* 4th Ward TIF Illumination at the Hyde Park Art Center, May 29, 2014.
*DePaul Stadium Forum at DePaul Student Activity Center, October 3. Students organized this forum and asked for an Illumination of the 17 TIFs in the 2nd Ward.
*Lakeside Development CBA Summit – The Alliance of the SouthEast called a town meeting to discuss how to influence the massive planned development for the site of the U.S. Steel plant on September 7.
* 39th Ward TIFs & School Budget Town Meeting – August 27 – Read coverage in Progress Illinois.
* TIF Town Meeting in Oak Park, August 25
* August 21, 2013 – The good folks of MoveOn Chicago came by to learn about TIFs.
* August 8, 2013 – The 33rd Ward & Albany Park
Aldermen Deb Mell and Ray Colon attended the meeting. After community members testified to the devastating impacts of the announced school cuts the Aldermen were asked to sign a giant check made out the public schools, drawn on the city’s TIF account. They both pledged to return TIF funds to the schools and signed!
*August 7, 2013 – The TIFs of Little Village. A presentation made to the leadership of Latinos Progresando.
* August 6, 2013 – The 19th Ward – Read coverage from Progress Illinois.
*July 18, 2013 – Logan Square.
Someone in the audience posted a series of short YouTube videos capturing most of the presentation.
* June 11, 2013 – West Rogers Park (50th Ward) – Coverage from Progress Illinois.
* June 5, 2013 – Bridgeport & McKinley Park (11th & 12th Wards) – Read coverage from Progress Illinois and DNAinfo Chicago.
* May 13, 2013 – Hyde Park (4th Ward) – Read coverage from Progress Illinois. This town meeting was also covered in the cover story for the July 22, 2013 issue of The Nation, “Chicago Rising!”
* May 4, 2013 – Englewood Neighborhood TIF r
*April 20, 2013 – Talking TIFs Part 2
* April 11, 2013 – Uptown Community (46th Ward)
* March 30, 2013 – South Shore (7th Ward)
* March 16, 2013 – Washington Park (20th Ward). Read the coverage of this meeting from Progress Illinois.
February 12, 2013 - TIF Town Meeting @ The Chopin Theatre
The Tax Integrity and Fairness Alliance held a TIF Town Meeting at The Chopin Theater on February 12, 2013. Over 220 people attended! Here is the media coverage and Tom Tresser’s presentation materials on the results of the research into the 12 TIFs inside the 27th Ward.
Thanks to the great folks at Chicago Public Access, CAN-TV, watch this video of the three presenters plus the Q&A session (1 hour, 22 minutes).
Address Street Address
Address Line 2
State / Province / Region
Postal / Zip Code
Your Ward *
Your comments, suggestions, stories about TIFs. Tell us if you’d like to help the CivicLab and the TIF Illumination Project!
in my ward